Md Azhar Khan
Frequently Asked Questions
False Ceiling Services - Gypsum, POP, Grid & PVC Ceilings At Best Quality & Price
Why is False Ceiling needed ?
Today a good interior décor of the home is no longer a can-have, but a must-have. False ceiling plays a major role in improving the attraction, beauty and aesthetic appeal of the home.
- A false ceiling offers a neat, uniform and clean look, which is very pleasing. This is the reason why false roofing is well adopted in corporate offices. Its features offers a rich and quality work environment, which will help to increase work efficiency.
- In a room without false ceilings, the light fixtures are fixed on the walls directly, due to which their many electric wiring are also done on the walls and are openly visible. This spoils the aesthetic look of the room
- There are several elements such as beams, wiring, fire extinguisher piping, smoke detectors wire etc. which are usually visible below the roof. False ceiling helps to hide all these unwanted elements of the room and provide a clean and uniform look to the room.
- These secondary ceilings are used in the room where sound resistance is highly necessary, such as conference rooms, meeting rooms and seminar halls etc. Some of the false ceiling material are good at sound absorption and also provide good insulation from outside noise.
- False ceiling traps a layer of air and hence provides natural insulation from external weather, especially for a roof exposed to outside weather.
- There are many false ceiling materials and they come with various properties to suit specific need of the room.
How do I evaluate False Ceiling Services Near Me?
While selecting professional false ceiling service provider, please do a thorough verification to ascertain their capabilities and flexibility:
- Products & components that the false ceiling contractor is offering to use. There are hundreds of varieties with different grades of durability, life and price. We are not just talking of the panel material like Gypsum, POP, PVC, Wooden etc. Rather, we are referring to the gypsum board type, channels, anchor fasteners and joining tapes. Refer below for further discussion
- Pictures of their recently completed projects along with reviews and ratings. Pictures only reveal half the truth. So, kindly insist on reviews from previous customers, which is a strong signal that their false ceiling work is indeed good
- Location of the false ceiling work is the most important. Different neighborhoods have different standards. A customer from plush Bandra locality is likely to be more informed, quality conscious than elsewhere. Hence if the contractor has done work over there or such good locations, then it is good sign
- Gypsum false ceiling service is not rocket science, yet advanced technology is now available, that enables faster and durable installation. Please ensure that your contractor employs those tools and components that will benefit you
How to ensure quality of false ceilings?
Perfect ceiling is indeed possible to achieve at an affordable price; whatever is your design choice, it can be brought to reality by experienced professionals. False ceiling material can be bought and used as per budget and functional requirements. Yet, ensure the following important quality parameters to ensure long last quality -
- Quality Material - The quality and strength of the channel frames and the panel boards determine the eventual longevity of your false ceiling. The will depend on your budget and price; however the remaining three points below are not impacted by the price product details
- Anchor-Fasteners - Ensure that you use quality anchor-fastener. This is very important as these screws hold the suspended ceiling to the soffit or the roof. Some contractors just use normal screws and hammer them into the ceiling - that is the worst; as these hammered nails may loosen grip and fall in a few years
- Framing - Whatever be the quality of the channel materials you choose, please pay special attention to the spacing of the anchor-fasteners between each other when drilled to the ceiling. The spacing need to be done in between 2 to 3 feet spacing only
- Jointing - Assuming that you have a good gypsum false ceiling contractor, they will carefully mark out and draw line & levels for ensuring flat ceiling. But that is not sufficient. To prevent cracks from appearing in the gypsum boards, the joints between the boards need to be strong. Hence, using a strong jointing tape is important. Further, special jointing compound or pop mixed with Fevicol has to be used over the jointing tape to make those joints stronger with a seamless finish.
Do you need False Ceiling Designers / Professionals?
As responsible consultants, we have to say, 'It depends'!
If you are decorating or renovating your dream home and expect years or decades of hassle-free durability, we definitely recommend taking professional false ceiling design service.
Founder in Mumbai, FreshHomez is the best false-ceiling services company in India. Here, you will find a team of professionals, who are trained in all aspects of false ceiling work. We are capable of delivering the perfect execution dipping into our vast knowledge accumulated over the years in interior design and decoration. You may check reviews from our valuable clients on our company projects pages.
Talented professionals specialize in their trade. Gypsum false ceiling service is a specialized skill and we have professionals regularly providing false ceiling installation service. Likewise, grid false ceiling contractors are of a different genre.
At the end, good false ceiling work is never complete without a professional house painting service.
What is the cost of False Ceiling Work?
The cost of installing a false ceiling depends on various factors. Typically, they cost between Rs 60 per sqft to Rs 100 per sqft depending on the false ceiling material, brand and complexity. Here is a list of important factors that one should be aware of for reviewing or simply negotiating the charges:
- Local Availability: False ceiling needs material which is quite bulky, so local availability plays in important factor in costing. If the material is available easily, it will cut down the logistics and transportation costs.
- False ceiling Complexity: The cost of the installation is proportional to the complexity of the ceiling design. Some of the complicated shapes cost more as they are highly time-consuming, and even requires a lot of precision and effort from skilled manpower. Some types need laser cutting and so very few vendors are capable of providing such designs. Do check with us for laser cut designs. A laser cut panels for false ceiling for living room is becoming more and more common. Your false ceiling ideas is always the most important factor in determining the budget.
- Quality: The price of the construction is proportional to the quality of materials which is being used. The products which are of high quality have a greater return of investment even though the initial cost can be higher, but the material will be more durable and saves the cost of maintenance in the long run.
- Size: The cost is inversely proportional to the size of the ceiling to be covered. As, the area is large, it lowers the price per square meter as the material can be purchased in large quantities and transportation cost and overheads gets distributed over larger area.
- Additional and miscellaneous cost: Some additional costs variables include the false ceiling installation charges, fittings, accent elements, cove lightning, surface finishes, gala cutting etc., which gets added to the labour and material cost.
What are the different types of False ceiling material
Gypsum Board False Ceiling
Gypsum is the most commonly used false ceiling material. The panels come with either square or tapered edges. Gypsum false boards can be easily fixed either by nailing directly to plain wall or placing on a galvanized metal grid. It comes in standard sizes of either 8 feet X 4 feet or 6 feet X 4 feet. Gypsum is versatile, available at reasonable rates and are a preferred choice for generating stylish false ceiling design.
Features of Gypsum Ceiling Boards
- Fire and moisture resistant
- Can bear a load of around 15 kg.
- Heat resistant and good sound insulation
- Comes in different shapes and customized forms
Grid False Ceiling
Grid False Ceiling is one of the most commonly used in commercial buildings like office buildings and office spaces. These types of ceiling are mainly used for large rooms. They are ideal for concealing wiring and other utilities. These metal modular ceilings panels are installed either on the cross-sections or T-sections and then suspended by rods.
Features of Grid Ceiling for spacious living room
- False Ceiling Grid are economical
- Comes with monolithic shape
- Easy to maintain and install. The tiles can be replaced with little or no effort at all.
- Easy to maintain as you can remove the original ceiling tiles whenever you want
- It has very good soundproofing capabilities
- The standard size used is 600x600mm but is also available in other sizes also like 300mm x 1200mm etc.
POP Ceiling (Plaster of Paris Ceiling)
Plaster of Paris (POP) is one of the most used false original ceiling material. It used to be the most material. It is the cheapest amongst all the false ceiling materials. Plaster of Paris as such has lot of usage. POP mixed with the water to form a paste, which can be molded in various shapes and dried to form a hard material. It requires artistic workmanship when used in bare form. Wide range of pre-moulded shapes are available. POP ceiling services are also quite easy to install.
Features of POP Ceiling for your homes
- Light in weight
- Has a thickness of around 12-15 mm
- The surface can be easily customized and painted
- Price mainly depends on the design. It can be used for many traditional as well as modern design pattern
- Easy to construct
- Smooth finishing
Plywood ceilings are popular for their attractive, appealing aspects. These types of ceilings are created with the strips of play which are either glued or nailed together. Plywood ceiling, due to its insulating property, is commonly used in places with cold climates. Lot of living room false ceilings are including some level of plywood for a new trendy look.
Special Features of Plywood Ceiling
- Relatively Expensive
- Strong and flexible
- Appearance changes from time to time
- Difficult to maintain
- Comes in customized designs and different shapes
PVC False Ceiling
PVC ceiling is also one of the most trending ceiling systems in India. PVC false ceiling service is quick and very durable. It solves the problem of maintenance for areas where the false ceiling area needs access as well. PVC False ceiling is suitable in moist areas and for all types of weather. It also helps to incorporate a hidden lightning system and flush fitting. These are some of the easiest to install and hassle-free false ceilings.
Features of PVC Ceiling
- Economical in nature
- Moisture resistant
- Low maintenance
- Durable and easy to install
- Comes in customized designs and different shapes
Other False Ceiling Panel Material
There are other material like false ceiling tiles and metal ceilings which are also used. The use of other material is still limited as it needs skilled labor and good know-how for installation and maintenance. What you want to use in your ceiling space depends on you, there are multiple options to choose from. Gypsum ceilings and POP ceilings are the most commonly used options.
Leading False Ceiling Product Brands in India
Gyproc False Ceiling
Saint Gobain Gyproc false ceiling products and components is the leading brand in India. They offer durable quality and good service across the country. Unique products are moisture resistant and fire resistant gypsum boards. Their channel framing technology is time-tested and very durable.
Saint Gobain also has a commercial range under the Ecophon range of grid tiles.
USG Boral False Ceiling
USG Boral is the new emerging brand in India with gypsum boards, channels and structures. They are the challenger brand with full-service capability
Armstrong Grid Ceiling
Armstrong grid tiles are the benchmark in commercial ceilings category. They have unique noise reduction capabilities and are modular with several advantages.
What are the advantages of False Ceiling?
There are several benefits or advantages of the false ceilings:
- Lighting Efficiency:
Overhead lighting comes in various shapes and colors. False ceilings truly helps in fixing different light fixtures in the home interior by providing that extra space that is required to fix different options such as mood lighting or diffused lightning or slot lighting. False ceiling lights also comes in lot of colors and intensity options, which helps make the room beutiful especially at night.
- Concealed Wiring & Plumbing:
Wiring for overhead fixtures such as air conditioners, fans, or cove lighting can be easily routed between the original slab and drop ceiling. This helps to eliminate the need for a tangle of wires in or on the ceiling and also helps to improve the overall look of your home. It is also majorly used to conceal plumbing system.
- Energy Efficiency:
The drop or false ceiling is used to reduce the air volume of a room, and as a result of which it helps to reduce the air conditioning load. It also provide an additional layer of insulation, thus better insulating the room and therefore reducing the energy requirement for heating/ cooling.
- Thermal Insulation:
When the terrace above the ceiling is exposed to the sun, one can feel uncomfortable due to the ceiling heat. False ceiling is provided for the thermal insulation by creating an air gap between the false and slab ceiling. It helps to make the room much refreshing and cooler.
- Sound Proofing:
Most false ceiling material have great acoustic properties. This is a significant property in an apartment, as owners need insulation from the sounds from the overhead flats. The false or drop ceiling is used to reduce this sound by simply creating an insulating surface between the twwo surfaces.
What are the disadvantages of False Ceiling?
They require close to zero maintenance. However, one important downside of installing the false ceilings is that the 'ceiling height' of the room reduces by just a few inches. Normally this is no big deal, however in multi-storey apartments, building developers are providing lesser room heights than earlier. Hence, this could be an issue.
There are ways to mitigate the height reduction problem. Discuss this concern with your false ceiling contractor and good guys will suggest workarounds for the same.
In case of humid climates, another side-effect of gypsum ceiling is that there could be risk of fungal growth in the space trapped between the false ceiling and the actual ceiling; that may show up on the visible side after a few years. Using moisture-retardant boards mitigates this problem.
Does the False Ceiling Require any sort of Maintenance?
False ceiling is an attractive feature in most homes. Most false ceiling does not need much maintenance. Only requires time to time cleaning. Maintenance of the false ceiling depends on its frame and materials.
Ensure that there is no water contact during the cleaning process. Gypsum plasterboard and water do not go hand in hand. Water will damage the ceiling durability and finish too. If there is any leakage in the ceiling, then metal framing will degrade due to the water, and the false ceiling may collapse. Because of the drop ceiling, you will never come to know about any deflection or corrosion of the RCC slabs.